Happy February! Hard to believe that it’s February already and you know what that means… It means winter is not quite over and many parts of the US are feeling that intensely. But it also means Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. We’re thinking you probably already knew that due to the bloom of candy and hearts at the grocery store. And every other store, come to think of it.
But what does that have to do with writing? Well, we kicked off 2023 by beginning to write a new mystery series and as we’ve moved forward with the first book, we’ve realized that starting a new series is a lot like the beginning of a new romance.
A new series involves a lot of firsts:
- Getting to know your character’s likes and dislikes. Favorite restaurant, favorite movies, what do they do in their downtime.
- Unraveling their backstory bit by bit. What’s their history? Where are they from?
- The first time your characters meet each other.
- The first time they disagree. Their first fight.
- And of course, because it’s a mystery – the first dead body.
And just like in falling in love, you never forget your first love. So, there are a few things that we’re bringing along to the new series:
- We loved writing two main characters with different points of view and so there are two protagonists in the new series.
- Of course, there will be pets, though they aren’t the focus of these stories.
- We both love a beach so while this series isn’t set in California, the new setting does take place near the sea.
- And there are some characters that we just couldn’t leave behind, so look for a few cameos in the new series.
We are loving this new series and these new characters, and we’re hoping our readers enjoy the new stories as much as we’re enjoying writing them!
If you’d like to keep in touch with us and get updates about the new series, please sign up for our newsletter here: SparkleAbbey.com
Sparkle Abbey is actually two people: Mary Lee Ashford and Anita Carter, who write the national best-selling Pampered Pets cozy mysteries series. They are friends as well as neighbors so they often get together and plot ways to commit murder. (But don’t tell the other neighbors.)
They love to hear from readers and can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, their favorite social media sites. You can also follow them on BookBub to be notified when there are special offers.